Accessories Required for a Chignon
Before we move on to learn some easy steps to do a chignon, the basics required for hairstyling are the hair materials and tools that are supposed to be used. Given below are some must-have hair accessories for a color hairstyle like chignon.
- Hair Brush
- Hair Mousse/Spray
- Anti-frizz Hair Serum
Steps to Do a Chignon
Step #1 ~ Hair Wash
Well, I know it is quite obvious for us to think that one is, of course, going to run a head bath before going out for a party or so. You win! Definitely one will. But you have to do it a day before the party or event. Almost all stylists recommend that washing hair a day earlier helps the oils in the scalp to settle down to the hair shaft, which will simply help in smooth brushing of your hair. In this manner, you will have smooth, silky and shiny hair to do the styling.
Step #2 ~ Brush Your Hair
When you learn how to style a chignon, brushing your hair very smoothly is important. Also, this is a decisive step to decide exactly, on which side you would want to part your hair; middle, side or just straight at the back.
Step #3 ~ Styling Materials
Depending upon the hair texture a person has, this is an optional step to know how to do a chignon. If you know that your hair is stalwart and uncompromising for that chignon to look beautiful, you may use some hair care products to make the chignon stay in its place, once it's set up. Try different products on a little section of your hair. Check whether that product suits you and then decide to go ahead with the overall styling. And yes, you will have to avoid making that fuss about your hair looking hay-like, because styling products are going to change the texture to some extent.
Step #4 ~ Making a Chignon
- Knowing how to style a chignon starts from here. Split your hair into a ponytail, don't pull the ponytail too tight, just form a base to tie a chignon. Divide the ponytail into two parts. Bringing them close together, twist them tightly in the form of a spiral and tie an elastic band at the end of the spiral. Many hairstylists braid the ponytail together to give it a more ornamental look.
- The next step is, positioning your hands to form a curl. This is a leading point to know how to tie a chignon for your hair. Hold the ponytail in one hand at the nape of the neck, and with your other hand, lift the ponytail or braid few inches above the skull base.
- Once you achieve the position of the curl, start to curl up the twisted braid/ponytail from the base in the form of a bun to attain an updo hairstyle.
- Oh! Wait there. It's not finished yet. You will need to pin up the chignon just to keep it in proper place. While you are twisting up the braid/ponytail bit-by-bit, you must keep pinning up the hairdo so that it doesn't fall out of place. For doing this, hold some hair from the chignon and place it to the bunch of hair at the back of your head.
- For normal long or semi-long hair, use a gel. Quickly and lightly squirt your hair with water and apply little amount of gel to it. Work your way through, making sure you cover the entire head. Just do not use the gel excessively.
- The same procedure can be repeated using mousse.
- Make sufficient use of hairspray on dry hair. It will develop some grip in your hair. And don't forget to shake the can occasionally to avoid ending up with excessive crunchy hair.
- Use soothing serum in case of too thick or wiry hair. It acts as a good holding agent.
And voila! I am done here. Hey, wait a second, before you rush yourself to face your dearest vanity, remember to practice these simple ways to do your own chignon in your spare time. This is, so that you won't be all hyperactive and run around in super-speed just a few hours before you present yourself on an occasion. Probably after you have perfected the art of coiling up this bun called chignon, if you read this article after a few days, you might just tell me: Hey! I know how to style a chignon and to that I would just reply: Yeah gal! you got it right, I am sure, now you do know how to do a chignon yourself!
By Fatima Rangwala